OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI, 1889.
Published by Goodspeed
Charles R. Church, editor
and publisher of the Stockton Journal, is a native of Cedar County, Mo.,
and was born in 1861, being a son of Hardy J. and Mary A. (Corbin) Church, who
were born in Maury County, Tenn., and Adair County, Ky., August 26, 1836, and
July 22, 1839, respectively. Hardy
J. Church came to Cedar County, Mo., with his parents, William Carroll Church
and Mazey (Petty) Church (for their history see sketch of William Carroll
Church), and was here reared to manhood, and married Miss Mary A. Corbin, who is
now residing in Stockton, Mo. His
early life was spent in farming, and, from 1870 to 1874, he acted as deputy
sheriff and collector of Cedar County, and at the latter date was elected
sheriff, and re-elected in 1876. He
died in 1880, leaving, besides his widow, the following children to mourn their
loss; Jennie M., wife of James L. Mitchell, a druggist, of Stockton; Charles R.,
Gertrude, William P., Frank L. and Fannie.
Charles R. Church was educated in the schools of Stockton, and at the age
of thirteen years entered the printing office of the Stockton Tribune, in
which office he remained until about 1876, when the Journal and Tribune
were consolidated. He continued in
the same capacity three years, then filled the position of local editor two
years, and, in 1881, became manager of the Stockton Journal for Hon. D.
P. Stratton, the present circuit judge. He
continued in this capacity until January, 1887, when he became editor and
publisher of the same. He supports
the principles of the Democratic party through the columns of his paper, and
expresses his opinions in a fearless and straight-forward manner. The Stockton Journal is ably edited, and is a bright
and newsy sheet, and has the largest circulation of any paper ever published in
the county. It advocates the
interests of Cedar County and her citizens, and deals largely and very fully
with local news in all sections of the country.
In April, 1882, Mr. Church was married to Miss Sarah C. Cheek, a daughter
of ex-Judge W. A. Cheek, of Cedar County. She
was born in Caldwell County, Mo., in 1863, and she and Mr. Church are the
parents of two interesting little children; Raymond F. and Mildred I.
They are worthy members of the Christian Church, and he belongs to the
Knights of Pythias, Cedar Lodge No. 103, which he represented in the Grand Lodge
at Hannibal in October, 1888.
Joseph Cline, carpenter at
El Dorado Springs, was born in Licking County, Ohio, in 1821, and is one of the
much esteemed citizens of the above mentioned city.
He is the son of Philip and Anna (Arter) Cline, and the grandson of
Philip Cline, who was a native of Germany, and who settled in Illinois about
1824 or 1825, and died there about 1835 or 1836.
Philip and Ana (Arter) Cline were natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania,
respectively. They were married in
Ohio in 1819, and afterwards moved to Illinois, where Mr. Cline died in 1844,
and Mrs. Cline in 1840. Mr. Cline
was a blacksmith by trade. He was a
soldier in the War of 1812, and was with Gen. Hull at the time of his surrender.
Joseph Cline, the eldest of two sons and three daughters, received an
ordinary education in the common schools, was reared on a farm, and went with
his parents to Woodford County, Ill., where he tilled the soil until about 1850,
when he learned his trade, and has followed it nearly ever since.
He is also the owner of some real estate in El Dorado, where he settled
in 1883. He is a Democrat in
politics, voting for Polk in 1844, and was formerly a member of the A. F. &
A. M. His brother, Samuel Cline,
married a Miss Lydia A. Sunderland, a native of Ohio, and shortly afterward they
moved to Kansas, where they remained until about 1878, then moved to Cedar
County, where they have since lived. Samuel
was a soldier in the Union army, serving three years in Company E, One Hundred
and Eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He
and wife are members of the Christian Church; and he has a good farm on Sac
River. Mary Cline, sister of the
subject of this sketch, is the wife of Jacob Barringer, a well-to-do farmer of
Woodford County, Ill. Julia A.,
another sister, died after marriage. Sarah
J., wife of Robert Campbell, is now residing in California.
The parents of the above mentioned children were members of the Baptist
Church for many years. Since 1884 Samuel and wife have lived in El Dorado.
Richard N. Cox, circuit
clerk of Cedar County, Mo., is a native of Knoxville, Tenn., where he was born
on the 21st of May, 1841. His
father, Richeson Cox, was of English descent, and was born in 1782, in Knox
County, Tenn., where he spent his entire life engaged in farming.
He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and died at the advanced age of 102
years. His wife, Mary Ann Julian,
was also born in Knox County, Tenn., and is yet living and draws a pension for
services rendered by her husband in the War of 1812. Curd Cox, the paternal. Grandfather, was a native of
Virginia, and a farmer by occupation. At
an early day he removed to Knox County, Tenn., and there he died in 1853, at the
age of ninety-six years. Richard N.
Cox is the third of seven children and was reared on a farm until seventeen
years of age, and from that time until 1858 was in his father’s stock stable
at Knoxville, Tenn. In the fall of
1858 he left Tennessee, and went to Montgomery County, Mo., and was engaged in
the saw-mill business until June 9, 1861, when he enlisted in Company K, Sixth
Missouri Infantry, U.S.A., and was in the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh,
Corinth, Vicksburg, Arkansas Post, Jackson’s Siege of Vicksburg, Missionary
Ridge, and was in the Georgia Campaign. At
this time his term of enlistment expired, and he returned home and organized
Company K, Forth-ninth Regiment, and was chosen first lieutenant and afterward
brevet captain. After the war he
was commissioned to administer the amnesty oath, and was discharged at Mobile,
Ala., December 20, 1865. He then
spent six years in Tennessee engaged in merchandising, and in 1871 came to
Missouri and began merchandising at Springfield, but sold out two years later
and went to Fair Play, where he remained six years.
In 1879 he went to Caplinger’s Mills, selling goods there three years,
and the two following years was at El Dorado, being the first merchant of the
place. From 1884 to 1886 he was the
proprietor of the Palace Hotel, now the St. James, and at the latter date was
elected to the office of circuit court clerk on the Republican ticket by a
majority of 274 votes, and entered upon the duties of his office in January,
1887. February 26, 1866, he married
Miss Sarah E. Julian, a daughter of Capt. A.M. Julian, of Springfield, Mo.
She was born in that city in 1845, and is now the mother of the following
family; Effie Rosella, wife of Hartwell Busby; William A., Flossie Iduma, Minnie
Pearl, Mamie and Robbie. Mr. Cox
belongs to the G.A.R., Hubbard Post No. 154, of Stockton.
Feranzo K. Crawford is one
of the leading farmers of Cedar County, Mo., and was born in Dade County, of the
same State. April 28, 1844, his
parents being John N. and K. E. (Julian) Crawford.
The former was born in Kentucky on the 27th of June, 1810, and
for many years followed the occupation of blacksmithing, but of late years has
given his attention to farming. His
wife was born in Tennessee in 1826, and his parents, James and Sarah (Newport)
Crawford, were born in Virginia and Tennessee, respectively, the former’s
birth occurring in 1782. He moved
first to Kentucky, thence to Missouri in 1838, being one of the early settlers
of Dade County, where they died in 1844 and 1866, respectively. The great-grandparents, John and Fariby Crawford, were
Virginians, who removed to Kentucky at an early day. Feranzo K. Crawford is the first of ten children, seven now
living, and resided with his parents until July 28, 1862, when he enlisted in
the Federal Army, and served until he received his discharge at Baton Rouge,
July 28, 1865, participating in a number of important engagements.
In January, 1866, he was married to Miss Sarah E. Wheeler, who was born
in Dade County in 1843, her parents being Calvin and Acenath Wheeler, both of
who were early settlers of Dade County. Here
the former died, but the mother’s death occurred in Kansas.
To Mr. and Mrs. Crawford eight children have been born: Robert O., Ammi
F. (deceased), Lewis F., William Calvin, Hubert (deceased), Rufus (deceased),
Harry B., and Jennie M. Mr.
Crawford has been a resident of Cedar County since 1867, and owns 280 acres of
land, with 120 cultivated. He is a
member of the G.A.R., a Republican in politics, and his first presidential vote
was cast for Lincoln. He is a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is one of the worthy citizens of
John B. Cross, one of Cedar County’s successful farmers and stockmen, was born in Sangamon County, Ill., November 24, 1843, and was reared in Macon County. His father, Barnard Cross, was born about 1813, and throughout life was a farmer and mechanic, and died in Sangamon County, in 1847. His wife, whose maiden was Priscilla Evans, was born in the “Old North State,” in 1814 and died in Cedar County, Mo., in August, 1882. William Cross, the grandfather, was a Kentuckian, and was one of the pioneer settlers of Sangamon County, Ill., but died in DeWitt county, at an advanced age, his wife, Charlotte, dying in the same county. John B. Cross is the third of four children, and made his home with his mother until his marriage, after which she made her home with him. He received his education in the public schools of Macon County, Ill. His marriage took place in 1868, and was to Miss Utherna Ann Cooksy, who was born and reared in Scott County, Ill., her birth occurring in 1845, her parents, Benjamin and Ann Cooksy, being among the early settlers of Scott County. In 1872 Mr. Cross emigrated with his family to Cedar County, Mo., where he now owns a fine farm of 120 acres, and is considered one of the intelligent farmers of the community. He supports the principles of the Democratic party. He and wife are the parents of the following children: Sarah D., wife of David Matette; Mary P., Richard M., William T., Franklin D., John M., Iva Ann and Alma R.
Dr. W. E. Dawson. Good health is a gift of nature greatly desired by all, for what enjoyment can be obtained when the health is gone and the grim destroyer, disease, is hastening one rapidly to the grave? None; and it certainly behooves us to guard carefully all that makes life enjoyable. Dr. W. E. Dawson, on of the prominent physicians and surgeons of El Dorado, whose principal aim in life thus far has been to administer to the physical ailments of his fellow-men, was born in Monroe County, Mo., in 1844, and is the son of John W. and Mary (Welsh) Dawson, natives of Virginia, born in 1804. They removed with their parents to Kentucky when young, were married there in 1831, and afterward removed to Monroe County, Mo., where the mother died in 1864. Mr. Dawson afterward married again, and is now living with his son, Dr. Dawson. He has followed the wool-carding business nearly all his life, and was a justice of the peace in Monroe County for twenty-eight years in succession, being elected seven terms in one township. He is a member of the Christian Church, and his wives were members of the same. His father, John W. Dawson, was a native of Scotland, and died in Marion County, Mo., about 1833, at the age of 104 years. Dr. W. E. Dawson, the eldest of nine children, eight sons and one daughter, received a good practical education in the common schools, and worked with his father in the factory until grown. At the age of seventeen he began the study of medicine, and, in 1864, graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill. In 1876 he graduated from Louisville (Ky.) Medical College, but, between 1864 and 1866, he practiced in Audrain County, after which he came to Clintonville, Cedar County, and, in 1884, to El Dorado Springs. He has practiced among the same people since 1866, and is one of the prominent practitioners of the county. During the year 1888 Dr. Dawson was engaged in the drug business with his brother at Schell City, and he still has an interest in the store there. He was married in Audrain County in 1866 to Miss Frances Forbis, a native of Boone County, Mo., and the daughter of James and Minerva Forbis, natives of Kentucky, who died in Audrain County. To the Doctor and wife were born three children. Dr. Dawson is a Democrat in politics, his first presidential vote being for Seymour, in 1868; has been a member of the A. F. & A. M. for ten years, the I. O. O. F. for fifteen years, and of the A. O. U. W. for eight years. Mrs. Dawson is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.
Pg. 731, 732
Zimri Dixon, a substantial farmer residing about ten miles from Stockton, Mo., was born in Ross County, Ohio, June 19, 1823, and is a son of Jacob and Nancy (Darby) Dixon, who were born on Kentucky soil in 1803, and died in Cedar County, Mo. (whither they came in 1838), in 1884 and in 1869, respectively. They suffered many privations and hardships in clearing their wood-land farm, but eventually became well-to-do. Zimri Dixon was the second of their then children, and, after his mother’s death, remained with his father, assisting on the home farm until manhood, in the meantime receiving no educational advantages. In 1855 he married Miss America Hopper, who was born in Tennessee about 1836, and their union was blessed in the birth of ten children, seven living: William H., George L., Loransy L., Parlee, wife of James Campbell, Dennis C., Delphia and Lewis M. In the summer of 1850 Mr. Dixon crossed the plains to California, where he remained until 1854, then returning to Cedar County, Mo. He has 210 acres of good land, which is well improved. He is a Republican politically, and during the late war served in the State militia. Mrs. Dixon’s parents, Jackson and Nancy Hopper, came to Cedar County, Mo., about 1850, where they spent the rest of their lives.
D. R. D. Dobyns, President of the Cruce Banking Company since its incorporation in 1885, and retired farmer, is now residing in El Dorado Springs. He was born in Muhlenberg County, Ky., in 1814, and is the son of Dr. Lew and Ann (Anderson) Dobyns, natives of Virginia. The parents were married in Kentucky, and there the father died in 1845. He was a farmer in early life, but for many years was a successful physician; was justice of the peace for several years; was colonel of the militia in general muster days and was a member of the Christian Church. His father, Batton Dobyns, was a native Virginian. Mrs. Ann (Anderson) Dobyns died when her son, D. R. D. Dobyns, was but eight or ten years of age, and the father was married the second time. Her father, Robert Anderson, was born in Virginia and died in Kentucky. D. R. D. Dobyns was the second of three children, and received a limited education in the subscription schools of his native county. At the age of fifteen he went to Tennessee, and carried mail from Murfreesboro to Springplace, in Georgia (then the Cherokee Nation), on horseback for four years. The distance was 150 miles. In 1836 he married, in Rutherford County, Tenn., Miss Matilda Wadley, the daughter of John and Mary Wadley, who died in Kentucky in 1845, leaving two children, both deceased. He was married the second time in Christian County, Ky., to M. E., the daughter of John W. and Nancy Thompson, who emigrated from South Carolina in an early day to Christian County, Ky., and married there, remaining there during their lives. Mr. Dobyns reared four children by the last marriage, but all are now deceased. In 1839 Mr. Dobyns returned to Kentucky, and in 1856 came to Cooper County, Mo. Where he remained until 1858, after which he removed to Henry County and ther remained until his removal to El Dorado Springs. He has made farming and stock-dealing his principal occupation during life, and has accumulated a handsome property. He has a fine farm of 115 acres four miles northeast of El Dorado Springs, and besides has considerable real estate in town. He has been a Democrat all his life, and his first presidential vote was cast for Martin Van Buren in 1836. Mrs. Dobyns has been amember of the Christian Church for many years, and Mr. Dobyns, although not a member, contributes liberally to the churches, and to all laudable enterprises.
Pgs. 732, 733Capt. Harvey J. Dutton, general merchant of El Dorado Spring, with a stock of goods valued at about $3,000 is a native of Woodford County, Ill., born in 1836, and is the eldest of six sons and two daughters, born to Norman and Nancy E. (Smith) Dutton. Mr. Dutton was born in Rutland County, VT., in 1810, and Mrs. Dutton in Canada, in 1808. they moved to Illinois, were married there, and there Mrs. Dutton died in 1866. One year later, Mr. Dutton married Miss Maria Sleeper, from New Hampshire. He died March 18, 1889, was a member of the Congregational Church for forty years, was a deacon in the same, and was a successful tiller of the soil. Capt. Harvey J. Dutton was reared to farm life, received a fair education in the common schools, and later attended the State normal at Bloomington, Ill, from which institution he graduated July 3, 1861. He then joined Company A, Thirty-third Illinois Infantry, known as the Normal Regiment, and was made sergeant at once. Afterward, he was made lieutenant, etc., until August, 1863, when he was commissioned captain, and commanded his company with credit until December, 1865, when he was mustered out at Springfield, Ill. He operated in Arkansas, Missouri, Texas, Louisiana and Alabama, and was slightly wounded three times. August 21, 1867, he married Miss Louisa V., daughter of John and Louisa Brinsden, who were natives of London, England, where they were married. Mr. and Mrs. Brinsden emigrated to Canada before Mrs. Dutton was born, and there they both died, Mr. Brinsden in 1861, and Mrs. Brinsden in 1850. Mrs. Dutton came to Illinois with an uncle, and was there married to Mr. Dutton, by whom she had six children, one son and four daughters now living: Florence E., Clarence A., Norma E., Bertha I., and Gertrude L. The fourth child, Colena A., is deceased. In 1869 Mr. Dutton moved to Cedar County, Mo., settling five miles south of El Dorado Springs, where he followed farming until 1889, when he moved to town, and engaged in his present business. He is a Republican in politics, voting for Lincoln in 1860; is a member of Colonel Leonard Post at El Dorado Springs, and has held nearly all the offices in the same. He and Mrs. Dutton are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Back to Biography Index
Back to Main Page© Copyright 2000--Present; All Rights Reserved. Kay Griffin Snow