HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI, 1889.  Goodspeed Publishing Co.


Pgs. 782, 783

          Ex-Judge D. J. Thompson, another successful farmer and stock-raiser of Box Township, Cedar County, Mo., was born in Lawrence County, Ky., January 23, 1834, and is the son of Martin and Annie (Large) Thompson, natives of Russell County, Va., born in 1802 and 1805, respectively.  When quite small, each, with their parents, moved to Kentucky, where, after reaching mature years, they were married, and there made their future home.  The mother died in February, 1869, and the father at the home of his son, Judge. D. J. Thompson, September 13, 1887.  Both were members of the Christian Church.  Mr. Thompson was a successful farmer and stock-raiser. His father, James Thompson, was a native of Virginia, and his grandfather, Richard Thompson, was a native of Ireland, and came to America at an early day.  He was an officer in the Revolutionary War, and died in Kentucky.  James Thompson also died in Kentucky.  William Large, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was an early settler of Kentucky, where he died.  He, too, was a soldier in the early wars.  He was of Welsh-Irish extraction.  Ex-Judge D. J. Thompson, the sixth of ten sons and four daughter, nine of whom are now living, received a limited education in the country schools, and was married August 16, 1855, to Miss Fannie, a native of Kentucky,, born June 9, 1839, and the daughter of William M. and Delila Pennington, also natives of Kentucky.  Mr. Pennington died in his native State, February 20, 1862, and Mrs. Pennington is still living there.  Mr. Pennington was a wealthy farmer, merchant and distiller, and was of Dutch descent.  To Judge Thompson and wife were born nine children, two sons and five daughters living.  America was born January 14, 1859, and was married to John A. Jackson, Jr., January 27, 1876; Granville, born February 12, 1861, and was married to Miss Alice Beauchamp, December 19, 1880; Delila A., born March 31, 1864, and was married to Mr. Joe Everman February 4, 1884; Richard, born November 13, 1866, died December 12, 1866; Josie, born December13, 1868; Laura B., born May 15, 1871; Helen A., born December 12, 1872, died January 7, 1873; Cora E., born January 27, 1874; James S., born August 31, 1876.  From November, 1861, to June, 1865, Judge Thompson was in the Confederate army, Company B, Tenth Kentucky Mounted Rifleman, and operated in Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia, held as partisan range in war in severe engagements, and had many hair-breadth escaped.  He surrendered at Chattanooga, Tenn., in June, 1865, and the same year came to Platte County, Mo., where he remained until the next year, when he moved to Hopkins County, Texas, and from there to Cedar County, Mo., where they have since lived.  He resides about three and a half miles northwest of El Dorado, where he has 320 acres, 160 acres under cultivation, and all the result of his own industry.  He is one of the leading farmers and stock-raisers of Cedar County. In 1874 he was elected associate judge of the county court, and served two years.  In politics he has been a Democrat all his life, and his first presidential vote was cast for James Buchanan, in 1856.  He and his son, Granville, are members of El Dorado Lodge No. 433, I. O. O. F., and he is also a member of the Farmers’ Alliance.  He and wife and five children are members of the Christian Church.  He and family have improved nearly all the farm themselves, there being about thirty-five acres cleared when they located there.


Pgs.  783, 784

          Levi Vassar, a substantial farmer, residing seven miles west of Stockton, Mo., was born in Cannon County, Tenn., November 9, 1825, his parents being Daniel and Ruthie (Lowry) Vassar.  The former was born in Tennessee, and died in Arkansas in 1832 where there on a visit.  He was a farmer and blacksmith by occupation.  His father, Joshua Vassar, was an early settler of Tennessee.  Mrs. Vassar died in Gentry County, Mo., in 1850.  Levi Vassar was the fourth of eight children, four of whom survive, and made his home with his mother until eighteen years of age, when he went to Clinton County, Mo., but a year later returned to Gentry County, where he married, and resided seventeen years.  In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Third Regiment Missouri Mounted Volunteers, U. S. A., and was in active service for about three years, being a participant in the battles of Lexington, Pea Ridge, Luka, Champion’s Hill, Grand Gulf, Corinth, Farmington and Vicksburg, being taken prisoner at the latter place.  After his return home, he resumed farming, and now owns 160 acres of land, of which 100 are under cultivation.  He has resided in Cedar County since 1875, and is a member of the Farmers’ Alliance.  His wife was a Miss Margaret Lucinda Bryson, who was in Tennessee in 1831, and by her he has eight children: Amanda P., wife of A. W. Martin; Narcissus P., William B., Robert E., Linda W., wife of C. N. Philpott; Alice, Maggie and Jessie.  Mrs. Vassar’s parents are Samuel and Isabel Bryson.  Mr. Vassar cast his first vote for Fillmore for the presidency, and is now a Democrat in politics.  He served for about seventeen months in the Mexican War, being in Company H, under Capt. Simmons.  Owing to the death of his father when he was seven years of age, Mr. Vassar’s educational advantages were very limited, but his is considered a man of sound judgment, and is well informed on all the topics of the day.


Pgs.  785, 786

          Bart Ward, a prominent agriculturist and stock-raiser of Box Township, Cedar County, Mo., was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, in 1839, and is the eleventh of fourteen children born to Charles and Letitia G. (Fury) Ward, natives of Ireland, where they were reared and married.  After coming to the United States they lived first in Ohio, and then in 1839 moved to Livingston County, Mo., where they remained until about 1842, when they located in Cedar County, being among its very first settlers.  The country was wild and unsettled, and wild animals of all kinds were numerous.  They improved a good farm, and here Mrs. Ward died in 1865 and Mr. Ward one year later.  Both were members of the Catholic Church.  He was a farmer, and was a stone-mason by trade.  Of their large family of children, only three are now living, viz.: Daniel, of Vernon County; Phares, of Cass County; and Bart, the subject of this sketch.  The latter has lived in Cedar County since three years of age, and never attended school a day in his life.  He began for himself at the age of twenty-three, and was married May 17, 1866, to Miss Zerelda Hawkins, daughter of David and Margaret Hawkins, natives of Tennessee, who moved to Indiana and from there to Missouri, settling in Livingston County in 1840, and then moved to Cedar County in 1865.  Here Mrs. Hawkins died in 1874, and Mr. Hawkins in 1880.  By his marriage Mr. Ward became the father of four children, one son and three daughters. Since marriage he has lived in Box Township, and on his present farm since 1881.  He is the owner of 200 acres of land, 170 under cultivation, is one of the pioneers of the county, and endured many of the privations incident to early times.  He is a Democrat, voting for Douglas in 1860, and is a member of the I. O. O. F.  When twenty-one years of age Mr. Ward could not spell nor write his name, but since then he has learned to read, is a fair scholar, and is well informed on general issues.  From 1862 until the close of the war he was in the Government employ in New Mexico.  Mrs. Ward belongs to the Christian Church.


Pgs.  786

          John Wasson, a leading stockman and farmer of the county, residing at Cane Hill, nine miles southeast of the county-seat, was born in St. Louis County, Mo., on the 2d of January, 1844, and made his home with his parents until their death, receiving his education in the common schools of his native county.  In 1874 he married Mrs. M. J. Ross, who was born in Kentucky in 1837, and is a daughter of Thomas and Lucinda Pyle, who came from Kentucky to Missouri in 1855, and died in Polk and Cedar Counties, respectively.  To Mr. Wasson’s marriage two children were born: Omer and Wallace.  He owns 520 acres of land, 300 acres under cultivation, and 200 river bottom land, and his home farm is one of the finest in the county, being well adapted to the raising of grain, and stock growing.  He has been a resident of Cedar County since 1872, and is an influential and highly respected citizen.  He is a Democrat, and his first presidential vote was cast for Horace Greeley.  His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.  His father, John W. Wasson, was a Scotchman, born about 1776, and when a young man he left his native land and came to St. Louis, Mo., purchasing a tract of land near that city, which was then a small French village.  He died on this farm in 1862, aged eighty-six years.  His wife was born near Lexington, Ky., in 1801, and died in St. Louis County in 1861, having borne a family of six children.


Pgs. 787, 789

          William R. Williams is the second of seven children born to Larkin and Catherine (Koontz) Williams, and is a grandson of Samuel and Nancy Williams, who died in Illinois.  Larkin Williams came from Tennessee to Polk County, Mo., in 1836, of which he was one of the early settlers, and owing to the newness of the country, suffered many privations and hardships while endeavoring to make a home for his family.  He was a prominent citizen of the county, and died in 1882, at the age of seventy-five years.  His wife was of Dutch descent, born in 1806, and died on the 17th of January, 1889.  William R. Williams was born in Knox County, Tenn., December 2, 1832, and until twenty-one years of age remained with his parents, receiving his  education in the public schools of Polk County.  In 1854 he married Miss Elizabeth Boswell, who was born in Henderson County, Tenn., in January, 1836, her parents being Matthew and Edit Boswell, who came to St. Clair County, Mo., from North Carolina, in 1837, and died in 1852 and 1854, respectively.  Mrs. And Mrs. Williams have twelve children: Larkin M., Minerva C., Susan A., L. G. W. and T. W. C. (twins), Elijah B., Leander Y., Samuel S., Charlotte E., Lorinda A., James C. and Lillie D.  Since 1854 Mr. Williams has been a resident of Cedar County, Mo., where he owns 312 acres of valuable land, with about 180 acres under cultivation.  In February, 1863, he enlisted in Capt. Simmons’ company of Missouri State Militia, and was in the united States service twenty months, besides being in the State Militia.  He is a Democrat, and cast his first presidential vote for James Buchanan.  He has served as justice of his township, and he and wife are members of the Predestinarian Baptist Church.  Mr. Williams’ paternal great-grandfather lived to be 106 years old, and had a good set of teeth (his third) when he died.  The maternal grandparent came across the ocean, the grandmother being a Rhymer before she was married.


Pgs. 788, 789

          Harden M. Williams, who is classed among the prominent farmers and stock-dealers of Cedar County, Mo., was born on his present farm November 21, 1842, and is the son of Judge Robert and Lavica (Williams), and the grandson of Robert Williams, Sr., who was of Welch extraction, and who died in Cedar County, Mo. Mrs. Williams’ father, John G. Williams, was also an early settler of Cedar County, Mo., and built a grist-mill on Cedar Creek, one of the first in Southwestern Missouri, and supplied the whole country with flour and meal.  Judge Williams was born in South Carolina and 1806, removed with his parents to Middle Tennessee, and in an early day emigrated to Miller County, Mo., and in 1837 to what is now Cedar County.  He settled in the woods on Cedar Creek, several miles from any other settlement, improved a good farm, and there spent the rest of his life, dying July 12, 1881.  He had lived on the same farm for forty-four years, and was one of the very first white settlers in that region.  He was fond of hunting, and, as the forest abounded with wild animals, he had abundant opportunities to test his skill as a marksman.  He lived in three counties, and did not move.  For about three years, from 1867, he was judge of the county court, and was one of the county’s sturdy, honest pioneers.  He was a man of considerable means, was very successful in all business operations, and for many years acted as banker in his vicinity, loaning money to all in need of it.  Although born and reared in the South, he was a stanch Union man during the war, and held the rank of captain.  He was married four times, and all the children living are by the first wife.  Harden M. Williams is the fifth of four sons and two daughters—these living, viz.:  Francis M., of Nebraska; Fernetta, wife of James M. Preston; Harden M., and J. K. all of Cedar County.  Harden M. received an ordinary education in the common schools, and August 15, 1872, he enlisted in Company F, Fortieth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and was in active service for three years.  He was in the siege of Vicksburg, was at the capture of Little Rock with Steel’s expedition, and was at the capture of Camden.  He was mustered out at Fort Gibson, I. T., and was discharged at Davenport, Iowa, August 15, 1865.  He was never captured or wounded, and rode the same horse home which he had taken from home in 1861.  In 1869 Miss Ida Sherman became his wife.  She was born in Cass County, Mo., in 1853, and is the daughter of John and Elizabeth Sherman, natives of Vermont and Ohio, respectively.  My and Mrs. Sherman were married in the last named State, and came to Cedar County, Mo., a few years previous to the war.  There Mrs. Sherman is still living, but Mr. Sherman died in 1874.  To Mr. Williams and wife were born four children, three sons living: J. Robert, Oscar E. and Freddie M.  Mr. Williams lived five years in Box Township, and then moved to the farm of his birth, were he has 580 acres, 200 under cultivation.  He is one of the leading farmers and stockmen of the county.  He is a Republican in politics, and his first presidential vote was for Lincoln in 1864.  He has been a member of the Masonic Fraternity, Clintonville Lodge, since 1882, and is a member of the G. A. R., Col. Leonard Post, at El Dorado. He and wife have been members in good standing for nearly twenty years in the Baptist Church, and he has been deacon in the same for some time. His father served on the first grand jury held in St. Clair County when it included Cedar County.


Pgs. 789, 790

          J. K. P. Williams, youngest brother of H. M. Williams, was born in Cedar County, Mo., in 1845, and received a good practical education in the common schools.  He served two years, from April, 1863, in the Union army, in different commands, first in Company E, Sixtieth Volunteer Cavalry Enrolled Missouri Militia, in Southwest Missouri.  He was afterward with Capt. Cook, and at last in company D, Twenty-sixth Missouri State Militia.  After the war he attended school at Brownsville, Neb., then taught school for several years, and was one of Cedar County’s prominent educators.  He was married in 1874 to Miss Martha Ann Metcalf, a native of St. Clair County, Mo., and the daughter of Rev. John T. and Susan C. Metcalf, natives of Virginia.  Mr. and Mrs. Metcalf were married in Chariton County, Mo., but moved from there to Cedar County, and still later, moved to St. Clair County, where Mrs. Metcalf is living at the present time.  Mr. Metcalf is deceased.  He was for many years a Baptist minister, and at one time represented St. Clair County in the Legislature.  To M. and Mrs. Williams have been born nine children, three sons and one daughter now living.  Mr. Williams is now living one mile west of were he was born and reared.  His home farm consists of 160 acres of well improved land, and he has two other tracts of eighty acres near by.  He served a short time as justice of the peace, and was once elected coroner of Cedar County, but would not serve.  Since November, 1888, he has been postmaster at Ivy Postoffice, at his house.  He is a Republican in his political views, and his first presidential vote was cast for Gen. Grant, in 1868.  He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, Stockton Lodge, is also a member of the Farmers’ Alliance, and he and wife are members of the Baptist Church, he having been a member since 1866, and clerk in the same for twenty years.


Pg. 790

          Dr. Madison B. Wooldridge, physician and surgeon, of Paynterville, Mo., was born in Christian County, Ky., on the 22d of December , 1832, and is a son of Edward and Margaret (Brasher) Wooldridge, natives respectively of Virginia and Tennessee.   The father was of Irish descent, a farmer by occupation, and died in the State of Kentucky when his son, Madison B., was an infant.  His wife was born in 1798, and died in 1886, having borne a family of seven children, three of whom survive.  Madison B. Wooldridge made his home with his mother until twenty-three years of age, and received his education in the common schools of Kentucky.  He then commenced the study of medicine under Dr. J. P. Bailey, in Christian County, and, after remaining with him about three years, entered the Medical College at Nashville, Tenn., from which he graduated March 2, 1857.  He at once entered upon the practice of his profession in Kentucky, but the following year located in Cedar County, Mo., where he has since resided.  He has become well known throughout the county as one of its able physicians, and his practice extends over a large area.  In 1864 he enlisted in Company A, Fifteenth Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, and after serving eleven months, received his discharge and returned to Cedar County, where he married, in 1865, Miss Ann E. Morgan, a native of Tennessee, born in 1845, and a daughter of John and Sarah Morgan.  The former died in 1868, but the latter is living.  Edward W., Clara M., Lulu M. (deceased), Carrie Lee, John F. and Madison B. are the children born to Dr. Wooldridge.  The Doctor has been a resident of Paynterville since 1880, where he has a one-acre lot, and besides this owns 116 acres of land near the village.  He is a Mason, and in 1888 was elected to the office of county coroner by the Democrats, but has never qualified.


Pgs. 790, 791

          Dr. William H. H. Younger. Prominent among the leading physicians and surgeons of El Dorado Spring stands the name of the above-mentioned gentleman, who was born in Orange County, N. C., in 1815, being the son of Rev. Robert A. and Edith (Horn) Younger, natives of Baltimore, Md., and Orange County, N. C., respectively.  They wee married in the last named county, and in 1831 removed to Boone County, Mo., where they were among the earliest settlers. There Mrs. Younger died, and Mr. Younger afterward married Mrs. Wallace, of Chariton County and in that county spent the balance of his life. He died in 1867 or 1868.  He was a Methodist minister of considerable ability, was also a life-long teacher, and was in the War of 1812, with Gen. Harrison.  His father, Capt. Henry Younger, was a Scotchman, and was captain of the Navy Yard at Baltimore, Md., for many years.  He died in Orange County, N. C.  Dr. William Younger, the second of eight children, five sons and three daughters, received his education in the common schools until eighteen years of age, when he entered the State University at Columbia, remained there about two years, and then took up the study of medicine at Columbia under the State Medical Board.  He has practiced in different parts of Missouri for over fifty-four years, and is one of the noted physicians of that State.  In 1838 he removed to Springfield, where he continued his practice until 1865, after which he removed to St. Louis, and there remained until 1866, when he returned to Southwestern Missouri.  He settled in Lawrence County, where he remained until 1882, and then moved to El Dorado Springs.  In 1840 he married Miss Julia Ann Hoshaw, daughter of Jacob M. and Jane Hoshaw, natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio, respectively.  Mr. and Mrs. Hoshaw moved to Lawrence County, Mo., in 1839, and ther Mr. Hoshaw died.  Mrs. Younger died February 10, 1885.  She was a consistent member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church for many years.  August 25, 1885, the Doctor married Mrs. Sarah Lewis, daughter of Basil Lucas, and a native of Highland County, Ohio. The Doctor has reared several children but all are now deceased.  He was a member of the Methodist Church from fourteen years of age until his return to Southwestern Missouri, when he became a Cumberland Presbyterian, but since his residence in El Dorado he has again become a Methodist, and for many years has been an active Sunday-school worker.  Mrs. Younger has been a member of the Methodist Church nearly all her life.  Previous to the war Dr. Younger was a Democrat, but since then he has affiliated with the Republican party.  He is a genial, social gentleman, a successful physician, and still has considerable and remunerative practice.


Pgs. 791, 792

          Charles S. Younger, blacksmith, and proprietor of a general repair shop in Stockton, Mo., was born in Williamson County, Tenn., in 1837, and is a son of Thomas and Sarah (Church) Younger, who were born in North Carolina in 1798 and 1813, respectively.  They were taken to Tennessee by their parents when young, and were married in Williamson County.  In October 1853 they removed to Missouri and located near Stockton, where they became the owners of a tract of land, on which they died in 1878, and 1873, respectively.  Mr. Younger’s brothers, Samuel and James, were soldiers in the War of 1812, and were at the battle of New Orleans under Jackson. Samuel died of disease, and James died in Cedar County.  This branch of the Younger family was first represented in the United States by two brothers, who came from Scotland, and settled in Virginia and North Carolina, Thomas Younger, the grandfather of our subject, being a descendant of the North Carolina pioneer.  Polly Nauls was the grandmother’s maiden name. Sarah (Church) Younger was a daughter of Thomas and Eliza (Culbertson) Church, and became the mother of thirteen children, nine of whom are living:  Elizabeth, wife of William Pankey; William T., Henry N., James M., Margaret, wife of Jordan Pankey; Charles S., Robert A.; Martha, wife of John A. Haynes; and Onie E., wife of Sylvester Terrill.  Charles S. Younger has resided on farms in Cedar County since sixteen years of age, making his home with his parents until twenty-two years of age, and since fifteen years old has also worked at the blacksmith’s trade.  In 1862 he enlisted in the Enrolled Militia, Company A, and in 1864 joined Mitchell’s regiment.  In 1865 he and G. R. Corbin erected a blacksmith shop in Stockton, and remained associated in business for twenty-one years, or until 1887, when they dissolved partnership, since which time Mr. Younger has been in business by himself, being the oldest blacksmith in Stockton.  Previous to the war he was a Whig, and cast his first presidential vote for Bell and Everett, but after the war became a Democrat, and is now a Prohibitionist.  He has filled the chairs in the Blue Lodge and Chapter of the Masonic order.  August 12, 1869, he wedded Miss Amanda J. Montgomery, a daughter of William and Elizabeth (Mitchell) Montgomery, who were born in Sevier County and Roane County, Tenn., in 1811 and 1812, and died in Cedar and Greene Counties, Mo., in 1886 and 1888, respectively.  Mr. Younger has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, since he was twenty-four years of age, and his wife since ten or twelve years of age.


Biography Index Page

  Back To Main Page

Copyright 2000--Present; All Rights Reserved. Kay Griffin Snow